Thursday, December 6, 2012

Day 10 - Healing Is Taking Place!!

The first step is always the hardest. That phrase took on a whole new meaning for me recently.  To backtrack a little bit I went to the doctor two days ago for the first time since the operation. I am happy to report that everything went well! He took an x-ray of my foot and I could already see the improvement. The doctor told me that the stent was exactly where it needed to be. I would never know it from looking at the exterior of my foot as it is still extremely swollen. It just goes to show that no matter what things looks like on the outside, it is not necessarily reflective of what is happening or of the things to come. The doc gave me an ankle brace to wear since he did not have a boot my size (I guess he does not see size 15 feet very often) and told me to wear it with good, supportive sneakers. 
 
Up until that point my foot had not touched the ground for eight days. It does not seem like a long period of time but it felt like an eternity. To be honest, I was apprehensive about putting pressure on my foot, even with the support of crutches. The other day I saw my cousin who is about to turn a year old and she is just starting to walk. She stands on her two feet, takes one quick step and then either immediately sits down or grabs hold of the closest object to avoid falling. Two days ago I could identify with that as I was reluctant to put weight on my foot, but that feeling has quickly faded.

Today I made a conscious decision not to use crutches at all. I took the train to work and even though my walk from the station to my office took probably three times longer than normal, it was incredibly satisfying. There was a little bit of pain but it was that good pain, like pain from going to the gym. I might have overdone it because now my foot hurts a little bit but I plan on icing it tonight and seeing how it feels tomorrow. I am just happy not to be using the crutches, and my shoulders are rejoicing.

I am looking forward to continued progress. This week has not been the easiest, but rather than dwelling on my current state I find comfort in the fact that this is just a season in life and I will be better for it. In every adversity there is the seed of an equal or greater benefit. God is still good and I am blessed to be where I am right now.

Verse of the day: "In all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us." Romans 8:37

6 comments:

  1. what is it with u "christies",you go to a doctor of MEDICAL SCIENCE for help, then you'll thank your "magical invisible friend jesus" for healing u.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe God can intervene through people whether it be a surgeon or whomever to help bring us where we seek. You have to understand, I saw doctors for ten years and they ALL said that my situation was hopeless and that I would be in pain for the rest of my life. I heard it so often that I almost started to believe it. I prayed every single day for a long time that God would make a way and He did. His grace is the only reason I have come this far. I was definitely at a breaking point last year where the pain in my feet, hips and knees was so intense that I did not want to go anywhere or even take a shower because standing would cause so much pain. In addition to the physical pain, it also started to wear on me mentally as I was tired of dealing with a situation I had no control over. This is a miracle for me, it was never supposed to happen and I am going to continue to thank God every single chance I get.

      Delete
  2. Good response, Jonathan. Did you take any before and after pics? I'm curious to know how flatfooted you were on each foot and how much of an arch you have in each foot now, it would be so helpful to see side views of your arch when you're bearing. Also, any top views showing your scars, which I've heard can be pretty small? My right foot has become totally flat, no arch at all, and my blob of a footprint bulges outward where it used to curve inward. Do your footprints look normal now, compared to how they used to look? Thanks for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, meant to say "when you're weight-bearing"

      Delete
    2. And could I have just one foot done? When you had your first foot done, did it feel weird having just one done? How often were you aware of having the implant in just one foot? Thanks.

      Delete
  3. Hey Ryan - I have some pics from before I will take some more from after and can send them to you. I will try to post them in the next few days but feel free to send me an email at jjeanpierre1@gmail to get them directly.

    I was super flat footed on each foot to the point that I had absolute no arch. At this point I only have a slight arch, but it is very subtle. The scars are very small but I will capture them in a picture for you. My footprints do not look normal, but they look better than they did before.

    You can have just one foot done if that's all that is necessary. The reason I had the operation was because of the severe pain I was experiencing in both of my feet, not to fix the way they looked. If there is no pain in your feet I would encourage you not to get the surgery. When I had one foot done it did feel weird like I was unbalanced. I was trying to learn how to walk on one corrected foot while the other foot still had issues and needed an orthotic. My surgeon did mention that some people elect to only have one foot done.

    ReplyDelete