Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Update!!


        Hello!! It has been awhile since I have posted an update and I apologize, but better late than never. The past couple months have really tested my patience and my resolve to remain encouraged despite how my body was feeling. To be honest, I thought as soon as I had both of the implants in my feet, I would be off and running. A little naive I know, but I tend to believe for the brightest outcome possible. With that being said, I have made substantial progress and am filled with so much hope when I think about how far I have come. 
Back in May (my last post), I had removed the brace from my right foot and was walking in shoes without orthotics for the first time in my life. Walking may not be the correct word, I was attempting to put one foot in front of the other in a controlled manner (it didn't look pretty). I did not have much pain in either foot, but I had a really difficult time walking in a normal motion. In hindsight, I realize it was my body getting used to the realignment but at the time I was a little frustrated with this stage of the healing process. 
At the same time, I was experiencing a lot of pain in my left knee, specifically the IT band (a piece of tissue that connects the hip to the kneecap). Initially, with every step I took my left knee would pop and it would burn after short stints of walking. This continued for several weeks but began to improve, albeit extremely slowly. My parents recommended I visit a physical therapist and in June, I started going for therapy twice a week. I explained my condition to the therapist (he had never seen a case like mine) and he watched me walk barefoot for a few moments. He could tell my leg muscles were extremely weak and tight and consequently, it was putting additional stress on my joints (specifically my knee) when I walked. He immediately told me to start stretching for ten minutes twice a day and I started therapy the following week. 
I underestimated how difficult physical therapy could be but it was exactly what I needed. My therapist had me complete exercises to strengthen my hips and quads at the beginning. Exercises included the resistance bike, one-legged wall sits (ouch!!), weighted hip raises, leg press, single leg bridges, among many others. After every session I was completely wiped after pushing myself to the limit for about an hour and a half. Slowly but surely, my therapist added to my routine, making it more difficult as the weeks flew by and I became stronger. Increasing resistance on the bike, making me hold wall sits for longer and adding new exercises were just some of the challenges the therapist threw my way. Soon I was jumping and going through speed drills with a stepping block. This process has reminded me that transformation rarely takes place overnight but with a plan and consistent effort, you can chip away at whatever stands in your way. I haven't yet started running but that is next on the agenda. 
In terms of pain in my feet, I have none in my left foot and the occasional ache in my right foot (the second foot that was operated on). I am believing the right foot will be pain free similar to the left. The difference is literally night and day. Over the past couple months I was able to participate in a number of activities that I wouldn't have been able to before. In July, I went to the beach and was able to walk barefoot on the sand for miles (a miracle!!). In August I started going to yoga with a couple coworkers (a major challenge but that would be a blog post in itself) and was able to hold various poses barefoot. This month I went to a music festival over two days and was on my feet for a majority of the time both days. My feet felt great and although they grew tired after 10 hours of standing, it was nothing compared to the pain I experienced previously. This weekend I went hiking for over two hours on difficult terrain and up/down steep hills and it felt great, I wanted to do more after we had already finished. I am so thankful because just a year ago I wouldn't have been able to do any of these things and it is only the beginning. I am not sure how long I will need to go to therapy for but I am trusting God and believing for full restoration of my body no matter how long it takes. Also, my family and friends have been amazing throughout this journey and I am so grateful to have them in my life. I will update this more frequently going forward (at least once a month).

Verse of the day: "Praise our God, all peoples, let the sound of his praise be heard; he has preserved our lives and kept our feet from slipping. For you, God, tested us; you refined us like silver. You brought us into prison and laid burdens on our backs. You let people ride over our heads; we went through fire and water, but you brought us to a place of abundance."

Psalm 66: 8-12

5 comments:

  1. jonathan - I have been reading through your great blog. I am trying to find out who your surgeon was... but not sure you mentioned...were you happy with them? can you share with us?

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for sharing about your surgery. I'm thinking of having this done on both feet, but it's hard to find testimonials that aren't on the doctor websites. I'm happy to learn that you are doing so well! Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. He said in an earlier post (forgot which one), that he went to Dr. Kass (Forest Hills, NY). I wish everyone luck with their surgery :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jonathan, how is your recovery going now? I just had my first foot done. Let me know! erinsibley31@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lung cancer often goes unnoticed in its early stages. As the disease develops, a persistent cough develop and chronic cough worsen. include chest pain, shortness of breath, hoarseness, bloody fluid coughed up from the respiratory tract, and frequent bouts of bronchitis or pneumonia. Sometimes the first was bone pain, headaches, dizziness,I was so piss off and tired of my life until i read about Dr Itua herbal medicine on blogspot i really thought it was scam when i first contacted him so little time i think about it and bought the herbal medicine which i took for three weeks and i was totally cured his treatment is so unique,I never thought i will be able to be free from Lung Cancer.But not only this Lung Cancer This great man can cure,Dr Itua also told me he can cure such diseases like... COLORECTAL CANCER, BLADDER CANCER, PROSTATE CANCER, KIDNEY CANCER, LUNG CANCER, SKIN CANCER,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia. UTERINE CANCER, LEUKEMIA,HIV/AIDS,OVARIAN CANCER,BLOOD CANCER,MEN/WOMAN INFERTILITY,BURKITT LYMPHOMA - NON-HODGKIN.BRONNCHIAL TUMORS, BRAIN TUMORS,BILE DUCT CANCER,BONE CANCER,VAGINAL CANCER,HERPES VIRUS,LOVE SPELL,HEPATITIS,HE'S A GREAT HERBAL DOCTOR.HERE HIS CONTACT EMAIL::: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/. WHATSAPP:::+2348149277967
    Lung cancer often goes unnoticed in its early stages. As the disease develops, a persistent cough develop and chronic cough worsen. include chest pain, shortness of breath, hoarseness, bloody fluid coughed up from the respiratory tract, and frequent bouts of bronchitis or pneumonia. Sometimes the first was bone pain, headaches, dizziness,I was so piss off and tired of my life until i read about Dr Itua herbal medicine on blogspot i really thought it was scam when i first contacted him so little time i think about it and bought the herbal medicine which i took for three weeks and i was totally cured his treatment is so unique,I never thought i will be able to be free from Lung Cancer.But not only this Lung Cancer This great man can cure,Dr Itua also told me he can cure such diseases like... COLORECTAL CANCER, BLADDER CANCER, PROSTATE CANCER, KIDNEY CANCER, LUNG CANCER, SKIN CANCER,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lupus,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia. UTERINE CANCER, LEUKEMIA,HIV/AIDS,OVARIAN CANCER,BLOOD CANCER,MEN/WOMAN INFERTILITY,BURKITT LYMPHOMA - NON-HODGKIN.BRONNCHIAL TUMORS, BRAIN TUMORS,BILE DUCT CANCER,BONE CANCER,VAGINAL CANCER,HERPES VIRUS,LOVE SPELL,HEPATITIS,HE'S A GREAT HERBAL DOCTOR.HERE HIS CONTACT EMAIL::: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/. WHATSAPP:::+2348149277967

    ReplyDelete