Monday, November 26, 2012

Day 1 - Left Foot Operation

Last night I could not fall asleep because I was too excited. I have been looking forward to this day for a longgggg time. I headed to Queens this morning to have the operation done by Dr. Kass, a physician who has done a number of these procedures. My parents and sister are still up here from Thanksgiving weekend so they came with me to the hospital and my godmother joined us. We arrived pretty late to the hospital (my fam moves slower when its cold) but thankfully there were no issues. I spoke to a number of nurses who asked a few basic questions before I was sent up to the operating room. Outside the OR I met the anesthesiologist and told him not to hold back a.k.a. make sure that I did not feel a thing. I have heard too many stories, fiction or not, about people waking up during surgery and I was not trying to have that experience. 

When I got into the OR it was freezing, I looked around the room and saw all the doctors/nurses had Underarmour or something similar on under their scrubs. Meanwhile I was given a thin sheet to wear that let in the breeze from the blasting A/C. When I get my other foot done I may have to use IcyHot to stay warm. Hopefully the hotness comes before the cold...

Within a couple minutes I was knocked out, the last thing I remember is looking up at super bright lights. I woke up three hours later (I had been out of the operating room for over two hours); I think I was given too much anesthesia but I'm not complaining. My foot is wrapped in a few bandages and is a little tingly as if it's slightly asleep. I'm thinking of it as goodness flowing through my foot. I was checked out from the hospital and my godmother drove me home (shoutout to her, still always there for me). 

Now I am home with my foot icing and elevated. I am confined to my couch for the next five days unable to put any pressure on my foot. That means no going to work, immense difficulty showering and some other struggles. My doctor prescribed me some Vicodin to take, but it was unavailable at all the nearby pharmacies. My mom walked around my neighborhood for a couple of hours looking for the medication and none of them had it. After asking a couple random people, she heard about a pharmacy connected to a hospital that would have the medication. I can only imagine how crazy she looked asking random people where she could find Vicodin. She spent a couple hours on an empty stomach looking for it for me. If that's not love I don't know what is, I am immensely grateful for her. Now...to watch some TV and rest. My sister made cookies so I'm going to be all over those in a second. God is good! Looking forward to getting better quickly.

Verse of the day: "Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day. For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory, while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary but the things which are not seen are eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18 (NKJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment