Sunday, November 25, 2012

Day Before Surgery

Greetings! Tomorrow morning I am going to the hospital to have the Hyprocure procedure performed on my left foot. This is a new form of surgery and there is not much information available about it so I wanted to blog about my experience. As I sit here typing I feel nothing but joy and a sense of gratitude for what's about to transpire tomorrow. I have had foot pain for most of my life and because my feet are structured incorrectly, it has also more recently led to knee and hip pain (see the pic below). My ankle and heel bones are misaligned, causing my body to put strain on areas where it shouldn't. I previously had surgery to get both of my achilles tendons lengthened awhile back and have been using custom orthotics since then to keep my feet stabilized.


This structural imbalance has made basic activities such as walking/standing extremely uncomfortable and painful with the pain getting progressively worse as time has passed. I have seen multiple doctors over the years and every trip has ended in disappointment with each of them saying there's nothing that can be done. The foot is such a delicate area leaving most doctors reluctant to operate on it because if done improperly serious complications could arise. That all changed last month when I heard about the Hyprocure. The procedure was invented a few years ago and involves the insertion of an implant into the foot which improves the balance and alignment of the foot. The surgery lasts about twenty minutes and if there are any complications they can just take the implant out and everything goes back to the way it was previously. I never thought I would get an implant in my body but hey - I am willing to do whatever it takes.

I am so grateful to God because this is something I have been praying and believing for since I was thirteen years old and to see it come to fruition is beyond anything I could ever ask for. He has been faithful to me even though I haven't always been. I was talking to my dad yesterday telling him how it was a miracle that I found a doctor that knew and could do the surgery and he turned and said "when the student is ready, the teacher will come." It was real deep.

The recovery period is expected to be a couple months and then I need to get my other foot done. It's going to be a bit of a journey but I know it will all be worth it in the end. In less than a year I will be walking, running and jumping pain-free; sometimes you have to speak things into existence. Send up a prayer on my behalf tonight. Bón nwit (good night). Note: I will be dropping bits of Kréyol on this blog.

Verse of the day: I would have lost heart, unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait on the Lord; be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart; wait, I say, on the Lord! (Psalm 27:13-14 NKJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment